Saturday, November 19, 2011

My Heart's Cry

 For the last several weeks I have been involved in a city-wide Bible Study called "Becoming a Vessel God Can Use" by Donna Partow.  In the study Donna teaches what it means to be emptied of self in order to be
filled up with God.

As I have thought about this Truth from the Word of God, it has  made me stop and think about my own life, how it would look different if I truly allowed the Lord to empty me of myself. All my life I have been a goal setter. For years my motto was "plan your work and work your plan,"" and that is what I have done. To be emptied of my own agenda is such a foreign concept.  The world  tells us to strive, achieve, become, and then we will be successful. To think now we are to be emptied of our own agenda, our own dreams, and what we have striven for to make us happy seems almost absurd. Yet, that is what the Word of God says. It even tells us that "apart from me (God) you can do nothing." John 15:5. The last time I checked the word "nothing" in the dictionary the definition was quite clear! It means just what it says - no thing!! Do you think God is telling us that without Him there is no thing we can do? How could that be?

As I considered the goals I have set over the course of my life - and yes even reached, I realized they have always left me feeling like they weren't enough. Maybe enough for the awards I received for the achievement, or the sense of pride I had in making a goal a reality, but as far as lasting value, they have always come up short and left me with the feeling "Is this all there is?  Is this what I worked so hard for?"

Then I started thinking about times in my life when the Lord has gone before me and opened doors for me to walk through. They have always been the times when what has been accomplished could have only come from God.  I am always left feeling like I could burst with amazement over what God has done through me, and know it had to be Him or it would have never happened.

When I compared the two scenarios I realized what He meant when He said "without me you can do nothing." He is telling us that without Him we can do nothing of eternal value.
      He is the One who
                        touches hearts
                              forgives sins
                                    saves souls
                                           reveals the Word of God
                                                    heals the brokenhearted
                                                          turns the ashes of our life into beauty
                                                                        reconciles broken relationships
                                                                                          loves us unconditionally

 Only what we allow Him to do through us is what will matter for eternity.  It is for His glory that we live. It is His will be done, not ours that has any eternal value.  It is God and God alone who deserves all praise.

To think He would allow me to have any part in His work on this earth at all is more than I can fathom. What a privilege we have been given to allow God to empty us of ourselves that He might fill us up!!

And I am left asking myself - "What is it I want my life to count for - eternal value or things of this world that I think are so important?" It is then my heart's cry becomes "empty me Lord, that I might be filled with You!"
                 

12 comments:

  1. This is so incredible! God's Truth penetrating our hearts to produce fruit for Him, being used by Him, even when He knows how inept we are. But that's just it! He does it in and thru us! I just love it. "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another..." Hebrews 10: 24-25. This is our new venue. I'm pulling my chair right up next to you! Here we go!!

    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyndy! You posted!!!!! Wow, what an amazing reflection on a central truth in God's word. "Apart from Him, we can do nothing" should always be central to our hearts and minds. Your sharing your heart on this truth just "re-centered" me on Christ. Sometimes with life's busyness, it is easy to be "all over the map"! I am so thankful that your sharing helped me remember we can do NOTHING without Jesus, our first love, who must ALWAYS remain first. You are going to be amazing at this Cyndy! Thanks so much for venturing in a new direction and for sharing your heart. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marian - you found me!! I'm so excited!! Thank you for your words of encouragement! This is what the "new" looks like! It's going to be exciting to see where God leads us!! How true it is we cannot go with God and stay where we are!! Just when we thought the city-wide studies were over He teaches us a new way to come together! He is such a genius! And oh so faithful to give us exactly what we need - just when we need it!!
    Thank you for sitting next to me - it wouldn't be the same without you!! Aren't you excited to see what He is going to do!! I can hardly wait!!
    Away we go!!! We are big girls now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen - thank you thank you - for making this all possible!! What a precious friend you are!! As I read your post I couldn't help but think of your blog on God impressing you to use your creativity!! Look what you have done for me!! (for all other followers check out Jen's blog "Motion Lights" and be blessed!) Your obedience to His leading in your life is such a testimony of being a vessel He can use!! - and is using!!
    I am so excited to grow together through this venue, Jen!! It is going to be so exciting to see where God takes us from here! And we thought the Friday morning study was over!!:) Not by a long shot!! Only because God is in control!! - and you're obedience to His leading!! Thank you from a very grateful heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautifully God inspiring site that you have created! I look forward to posting reguarly. Miss our Bible studies already!

    Blessings,
    Judy Price

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Judy!! I feel the same way about the studies!! I'm so excited you found the site!! Hopefully this will be a fun and beneficial way to stay connected!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let us humbly give thanks to our Lord Jesus Christ. Let us thank him for what he has given us! A deep abiding peace and joy in his presence.
    Humility must lead us to die to ourselves so we can prove how wholly we have given ourselves up to it and to God: so alone we are freed from our fallen nature and find the path that leads to life in God, to that full birth of the new nature, of which humility is the breath and the joy. (Andrew Murray, HUMILITY)
    Philippians 2:8 He humbled himself and became obedient to death.
    Philippians 2:8
    I am so thankfull today that I am free to worship God. I am thankfull for all my sister's in Christ!
    Praise be to our God Almighty and have a wonderfully blessed Thanksgiving.

    Blessings in Christ,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, Judy!! Thank you for your comment - that is exactly what this blog is about - keeping us all connected with each other, and in one accord with Our Lord Jesus Christ!! I am so excited to see you are reading a book by Andrew Murray - he has become one of my favorite authors!! I love what you wrote - "Let us thank Him for what he has given us! A deep abiding peace and joy in His presence!" Where would we be without Him!! All I have to do is remember where I was before He found me - and ALL HE has done for me since - and it is impossible to not come humbly before Him with a heart so full of gratitude I can hardly contain myself!! Thank you for the reminder!!
    Love & blessings, Judy,
    Cyndy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cyndy!
    Visiting my blog and posting today reminded me of you and what a blessing and treasure you are as a friend. I am indeed thankful for you and all of the other blessings God has given me through the gift of friendship. Thanks for being you, and "Happy Thanksgiving" to you and your treasured family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Claim in faith the death and life of Jesus as your own. Enter into rest at his feet from self and its work-the rest of God. Humble yourself and acknowledge each day your helpless dependence upon God. God will raise you up and exalt you. Let a willing, loving, restful humility come upon you for the Holy Spirit. Rejoice! Be alive in Him!
    Romans 6:13
    Offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life.
    Romans 6:13

    Blessins in Christ,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cyndy... It's me, Claudia. I'm so happy to have found your blog. I only heard today of your new plans, and Ii tried to see you to say good bye, but it didn't work out. Your ministry has meant so much to me and I have learned so much from you! I look forward to continuing to learn and grow as I stay connected through your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Claudia!! I'm so excited you found my blog! Today was so bitter sweet telling everyone goodbye. I would have loved to have seen you. I am praying this will be our new venue for continuing to grow in the Lord! Thank you for your kind words. I learned a lot from you,also. Our discussion times were so special - I'm going to miss them so much!! I'm just thankful we all.still have a way to stay connected!
    God is so faithful! God Bless you, Claudia! Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. There have been some problems in leaving comments. To leave a comment, choose the Anonymous profile (Comment as:) Please sign your name and country.