Wednesday, December 7, 2011

"I Am the Vine"

   " I am the Vine, you are the branches."
    For months I have asked the Lord to teach me what this really means. I want to know how to be a branch. I want to know how to let Christ be the Vine. I wish it came naturally, it does not. I want to be the Vine. I want to be the one who decides what I will do with my life, be in control all my tomorrows. I want to know I am being used by God for His glory, that my life to counts for Him. What if I let Him have His way and He puts me on the shelf?

   Recently my life has taken such a drastic turn I can hardly keep up with it. I loved my life, it was more then I ever hoped it would be. Three times a week I had the privilege of leading a group of  ladies hungry to grow in the Word of God. We sat around a table discussing new Truths we had learned that week.  Then it happened. A three to five year retirement plan turned into a  three month plan. I was devastated. How could this happen? How could I give up our Bible Studies, our Ladies Sunday School Class? I was sure God had made a mistake.

   One day as I  was sitting on my front porch bemoaning the fact that I had to move out of our beautiful home, the one where we had raised our five children, suddenly I felt the Lord's presence. It was like He had come to sit down beside me.
   "Cyndy," He said gently, "What do you see across the street?"
    I had been looking at the tall majestic oak trees across the street, feeling sorry for myself that I wouldn't be able to sit and admire them once we moved.  "Trees," I quietly answered.
   "And what do you think is going to happen to these trees?" He asked.
     Because it was late September and fall was on the horizon I knew exactly what was going to happen. "They are going to lose their leaves," I answered.
    "And do you suppose they are crying and carrying on because they are afraid I won't put their leaves back on next spring?"
    "No," I timidly answered, ashamed of the fact that I was so upset.
    "So, do you think I would take your leaves and not put them back on?"
    "No, Lord, I know you will."
    "And what tree is the prettiest?" He continued.
    "The one with the red leaves," I replied.
    "So don't you get it?" He asked, continuing on before I could even answer. " You are about to enter the autumn of your life, and just like the tree with the red leaves this is going to be the prettiest time of your
life. Will you trust me?" 
      I was speechless. This was a lesson that could only come from God. He made the trees. He orchestrates the trees losing their leaves and them coming to life in the spring. If He would do that for the trees, what would He do for me, His child?
     At that moment a peace came over me that I couldn't explain. Nothing had changed. We were still moving. I was still giving up the two city-wide Bible Studies and Ladies Sunday School class, but my feeling of hopelessness instantly turned into to a peace that passes all understanding.  My despair was exchanged with anticipation for what He has ahead for me.
    " I am the Vine, you are the branches."  Once again my Heavenly Father had taken me by the hand and led me into a place of quiet assurance that I can trust Him as my Vine.

     What is it you want to know from the Lord? Have you asked Him to show you His Truth? He will, you know. All He asks is that we be willing to sit at His feet with a heart to obey. As we stay in His presence He quietly teaches us, molding us into His likeness, answering our questions, drawing us ever closer to Himself.

      I am learning to be the branch. Knowing that it is only through the Vine that I can bear much fruit, and that "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me," (Phil. 4:13)  I rejoice in the truth that letting Him have His way with my life is the only way I will find true fulfillment. I want to live my life for His Glory. He is the Vine, I am the branch. May He have His perfect way in my life!!

4 comments:

  1. Cyndy!!!! I just read your post. Thank you for sharing your heart with such openness, transparency, and honesty. I applaud your willingness to MOVE WITH GOD even when your heart was so attached to the GOOD things He was doing in your life up until that point when your life began to shift direction. I also applaud your willingness to support your husband. That is not easy, and in this case required A LOT of sacrifice from you, but you honored God by following your husband's leading, and God will richly reward you for that.

    I LOVE the analogy of the tree and God being in control of when the leaves come off and when He causes them to grow again. God will certainly honor your heart and your life will still shine for Jesus and for the glory and purposes of God, even if it looks a little differently than it did before. Time will reveal another beautiful work of God in your life. I can't wait to see it!! Keeping you in my prayers, Cyndy! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story, Cyndy. You are so right. All we have to do is sit at His feet. Why is it we let the busyness of our day replace that? To be in the presence of the Almighty God, or do a load of laundry...seems like an easy choice. Oh God, give me a heart that yearns to spend time with you! To be a branch that produces fruit I must stay connected to the vine. I need a close connection. God has been waking me up early this week to meet with Him. I like that. Remember in the Psalms, 18 I think, where it says He delights in us? I read that yesterday and just chuckled. God delights in me? If His Word says it it's true! I could not have that revelation without staying connected. Isn't He so good? Gotta go... my connection is ringing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved seeing you this past Sunday. I hope you have a wonderfully blessed Christmas!! Love ya...Josie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Josie!! I loved being there!! I miss our Sunday School class so much!! I am so excited about your new job - and hours!! What a wonderful way to begin the New Year!!
    Thank you for being so very special, Josie!! We have studied God's Word together for a long time!! Have a Very Merry Christmas!!
    Love & hugs, Cyndy
    Cyndy

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. There have been some problems in leaving comments. To leave a comment, choose the Anonymous profile (Comment as:) Please sign your name and country.